Current Research Areas
- Tribological Studies and Control: Friction and Wear of materials in various modes such as adhesive, abrasive, erosive, fretting, etc. for metals, polymers, ceramics and composites; Wear behavior of machine elements, bearings, piston ring / liners, brake pads, etc.
- Friction Materials: Development and evaluation for LCVs, HCVs, etc.
- Bulk materials handling and Erosive wear studies of pneumatic conveying systems
- Lubricants and Lubrication: Evaluation and analysis of lubricants and additives, Boundary lubrication.
- Maintenance and RAM Engineering: Maintenance Planning and Control, Design for maintenance and reliability, Application of reliability, availability and maintainability (RAM) concepts to industrial plants, Safety and risk analysis.
- Condition Based Maintenance: Diagnostic maintenance of machines using techniques like Vibration, noise and acoustic emission, Oil and wear debris analysis.
- Vibration and Noise Engineering: Measurement, analysis and control. Sound intensity analysis for noise source location and sound power determination.
- Failure Analysis: Application to machines and components.
- Performance Evaluation: Computer and experimental simulation; Performance analysis of machine elements and systems like compressors, pumps, bearings, pneumatic conveying, etc.
The centre proposes to work in the following industry relevant new research areas:
- Development of Nano lubricants, emulsified lubricants and cutting oils.
- Development of high performance adhesives and nano adhesives.
- Studies on Nanomechanics / Nanotribology / Nanomechanisms.
- Development of environment friendly friction materials and high performance bearing materials.
- Design and development of mechanical systems from green maintenance initiatives
- Fault detection of very slow speed rotating machinery
- Acoustic emission studies for failure diagnosis of machines and components.